Cinema and Digital Media is a three-year Master’s follow-up program focusing on Directing open to anyone who has completed a Bachelor’s degree. The working language of the program is English and the applicants must demonstrate their knowledge of English at at least B2 level based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEF) during the admission procedure.
Applications for the academic year 2021/2022 have an application deadline of January 25, 2021. The admission committee selects the applicants to be invited for the second round of the admission procedure, which will be conducted via Skype. (Please note: all the deadlines are running in the Central European Time. Deadlines include the last given day, until 23:59:59.)
Maximum number of applicants accepted into the program each academic year: 9
More information to be found in Admission procedure terms and conditions
Skype admission interviews will take place in February 2021. Applicants selected for the second round will be informed about the details regarding the interview in a timely manner. However, it is certain at this point that an Internet connection with a minimum transmission rate of 8 MBPS will be necessary for successful data transmissions during the interview.
In order to successfully submit all the necessry documents, the applicants are required to complete the following:
Upload all the required documents stated in articles 1 – 7 according to the instructions that can be found here.
In order to obtain login and password please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please name all documents as follows: “Your_full_name_CDM_2021_name of the assignment”
(e. g. “Brad_Pitt_CDM_2021_form”)
1. An application form is available on-line. The application is to be filled, printed, signed and scanned.
Send the application form in hard copy to the following address:
Akademie muzickych umeni v Praze
FAMU International – CDM
Smetanovo nabrezi 2
116 65 Praha 1
Send an email containing a scanned application and a confirmation of the successful upload to email@example.com
Email subject: CDM application, your full name
Please name the application “Your_full_name_CDM_2021_form” and send as an email attachment.
The applicant will receive a confirmation that the email was received.
Please upload the application along with the requisites described in articles 2 – 7.
2. Scan of the pages in your passport that state your date of birth and full name.
Name it “Your_full_name_CDM_2021_passport” and upload it.
3. Your structured CV. Name it “Your_full_name_CDM_2021_CV” and upload it.
4. Written answers to the following questions:
A: STUDY (500 words maximum)
- What expectations do you have for studying the CDM program at FAMU?
- Which areas of study reflect your previous experience with artistic production?
- Which areas do you wish to develop your creativity in? Directing, Screenwriting, Non-fiction?
- What is your previous experience with academic writing?
B: PERSONALLY RELEVANT ARTWORKS
(Follow a simple rule – do not try to impress, we prefer you to be honest.)
- Add five images of your choice that express visually your taste and inclination, art, photography, graphic, personal, give a brief (just a few lines) motivation for each one.
- List three movie titles that portray who you are in film, your favourite, most beloved, most admired or if you want most despised film and write a brief motivation note about your choice.
- List three books, novels, essays, drama, literary products that better portray who you are and your taste and inclinations, and add a brief motivation note.
- List three pieces of music that well express who you are and your taste and inclinations.
- And in the end, write in no more than ten lines who you are.
Join the part 4A and the part 4B in one pdf file and name it “Your_full_name_CDM_2021_intent” and upload it.
5. A scanned certificate of having deposited the application fee of 878 CZK (or EUR equivalent) in the account number provided below. Name it “Your_full_name_CDM_2021_deposit” and upload it.
The deposit must be 878 CZK exactly, regardless of other banking or transfer fees.
Account owner: AMU – Akademie muzickych umeni v Praze
Bank details: Komercni banka, Malostranske nam. 23, Praha 1, 118 00, Czech Republic
Account number: 19-5373180297/0100
Variable code: 64913
Specific code: [application code you obtain via prihlaska.amu.cz]
Swift Code: KOMBCZPP
IBAN format of KB account:
Message for the payee: "your name and surname, [application code you obtain via prihlaska.amu.cz]". Please make sure that the message for the payee is exactly in this format.
6. All of the following samples must be submitted in order to complete the application for consideration.
- A short fiction or documentary film (up to 10 minutes of duration, up to 10 GB of size). Please make a .doc or .docx with the link to your audiovisual work and name it “Your_full_name_CDM_2021_FILM_title_of_the_piece” and upload it as previous files.
- A storyboard presenting a narrative based on an "encounter" (exactly 16 photographs or pictures, without text). All images must be uploaded as .zip and named “Your_full_name_CDM_2021_storyboard".
- Two short synopses for short fiction films. Texts must be uploaded and named “Your_full_name_CDM_2021_synopsis1” and “Your_full_name_CDM_2021_synopsis2”.
- An audiovisual self-portrait (two minute maximum, up to 3 GB of size). Please make a .doc or d.docx with the link to your audiovisual work and name it “Your_full_name_CDM_2021_selfportrait” and upload it as previous files.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY:
All audiovisual artistic samples must be uploaded on either Vimeo or Youtube in HD and the files have to be downloadable.
7. A copy of your Bachelor’s Degree diploma. If your Bachelor’s diploma is in English, there is no need to translate it. If your diploma is in another language, we require an English translation. Please upload it and name it “Your_full_name_CDM_2021_diploma". Please note: to enroll in September you need to undergo the diploma recognition procedure. (You do not have to upload the diploma scan in case you do not have the diploma yet - when you are in the final year of your bachelor's sudies.)
Applications will be accepted for admission subject to the compliance with all of the aforementioned requirements. We kindly request all applicants to please make sure that all documents submitted are named as requested, that non-English speaking films include English subtitles, and that they are submitted in a correct format.
If you apply, please be aware that the payment of the tuition fee is a prerequisite for enrollment.
The application deadline for the academic year 2021/2022 is January 25, 2021.
Please note: all the deadlines are running in the Central European Time.
Deadlines include the last given day, until 23:59:59.
(Admission announcement: March, 2021)
The tuition fee for academic year 2021/2022 is going to be 474,000 CZK (approx. EUR 16,970) DIRECTING. Tuition fee amount might be subject to change.