Cinema and Digital Media is a three-year Master’s follow-up program focusing on Directing open to anyone who has completed a Bachelor’s degree. The working language of the program is English and the applicants must demonstrate their knowledge of English at at least B2 level based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEF) during the admission procedure.
Applications for the academic year 2020/2021 has an application deadline of January 31, 2020. The admission committee selects the applicants to be invited for the second round of the admission procedure, which will be conducted via Skype.
Skype admission interviews will take place approximately in the middle of February 2020. Applicants selected for the second round will be informed about the details regarding the interview in a timely manner. However, it is certain at this point that an Internet connection with a minimum transmission rate of 8 MBPS will be necessary for successful data transmissions during the interview.
In order to successfully submit all the necessry documents, the applicants are required to complete the following:
Upload all the required documents stated in articles 1 – 8 according to the instructions that can be found here.
In order to obtain login and password please send an email to email@example.com
Please name all documents as follows: “Your_full_name_CDM_2020_number of assignment”
(e. g. “Brad_Pitt_CDM_2020_1”)
1. An application form is available on-line. The application is to be filled, printed, signed and scanned.
Send the application form in hard copy to the following address:
Akademie muzickych umeni v Praze
FAMU International – CDM
Smetanovo nabrezi 2
116 65 Praha 1
Send an email containing a scanned application and a confirmation of the successful upload to firstname.lastname@example.org
Email subject: CDM application, your full name
Please name the application “Your_full_name_CDM_2020_1” and send as an email attachment.
The applicant will receive a confirmation that the email was received.
There are no other documents in the application that you need to send by email or by post apart from the application form.
Also, please upload the application along with the requisites described in articles 2 – 8.
2. Scan of the pages in your passport that state your date of birth and full name.
Name it “Your_full_name_CDM_2020_2” and upload it.
3. At least one letter of recommendation from a current or previous teacher outlining the applicant’s ability and motivation to study. The letter must be sent directly to email@example.com by the person providing the recommendation. The referee must provide the full name of the applicant for whom they are providing the reference.
4. Your structured CV. Name it “Your_full_name_CDM_2020_4” and upload it.
5. Written answers to the following questions:
A: STUDY (300 words maximum each)
- What expectations do you have for studying the CDM program at FAMU?
- Which areas of study reflect your previous experience with artistic production?
- Which areas do you wish to develop your creativity in? Directing, Screenwriting, Non-fiction?
- What is your previous experience with academic writing?
B: SELF PORTRAIT IN ART
(Please follow a simple rule – do not try to impress, we prefer you to be honest.)
- Please add five images of your choice that express visually your taste and inclination, art, photography, graphic, personal, give a brief (just a few lines) motivation for each one.
- Please join three movie titles that portray who you are in film, your favourite, most beloved, most admired or if you want most despised film and write a brief motivation note about your choice.
- Please mention three books, novels, essays, drama, literary products that better portray who you are and your taste and inclinations, and add a brief motivation note.
- Please mention three pieces of music that well express who you are and your taste and inclinations.
And in the end, write in no more than ten lines who you are. That you can combine with the visual portrait you will join as filmed material.
Name it “Your_full_name_CDM_2020_5” and upload it.
6. A scanned certificate of having deposited the application fee of 699 CZK (or EUR equivalent) in the account number provided below. Name it “Your_full_name_CDM_2020_6” and upload it.
The deposit must be 818 CZK exactly, regardless of other banking or transfer fees.
Account owner: AMU – Akademie muzickych umeni v Praze
Bank details: Komercni banka, Malostranske nam. 23, Praha 1, 118 00, Czech Republic
Account number: 19-5373180297/0100
Swift Code: KOMBCZPP
IBAN format of KB account: CZ 5301000000195373180297
Message for the payee: "your name and surname, [application code]". Please make sure that the message for the payee is exactly in this format.
7. All of the following samples must be submitted in order to complete the application for consideration.
- A short feature or documentary (up to 10 minutes of duration, up to 10 GB of size).
- A storyboard presenting a narrative based on an "encounter" (exactly 16 photographs or pictures, without text).
- Two short synopses for short fiction films.
- An audiovisual self-portrait (two minute maximum, up to 3 GB of size).
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY:
All audiovisual artistic samples must be uploaded on either Vimeo or Youtube in HD and the files have to be downloadable. Please make a .doc with the links of your audiovisual works and name it “Your_full_name_CDM_2020_8_title_of_the_piece” and upload it as previous files.
All texts must be uploaded and named “Your_full_name_CDM_2020_8”
All images must be uploaded as .zip and named “Your_full_name_CDM_2020_8_IMAGES"
8. A copy of your Bachelor’s Degree diploma. If your Bachelor’s diploma is in English, there is no need to translate it. If your diploma is in another language, we require an English translation. Please upload it and name it “Your_full_name_CDM_2020_9". Please note: to enroll in September you need to undergo the diploma recognition procedure.
Applications will be accepted for admission subject to the compliance with all of the aforementioned requirements. We kindly request all applicants to please make sure that all documents submitted are named as requested, that non-English speaking films include English subtitles, and that they are submitted in a correct format.
If you apply, please be aware that the payment of the tuition fee is a prerequisite for enrollment.
The application deadline for the academic year 2020/2021 is January 31, 2020.
(Admission announcement: February, 2020)
The tuition fee for academic year 2020/2021 is 431,000 CZK (approx. EUR 16,970) DIRECTING and 320,000 CZK (approx. EUR 12,700) SCREENWRITING. The first year´s tuition fee might be forgiven in special cases if the school decides so.