Student Intermedia Laboratory
The competition goal
The goal of the competition is to support the creative projects of students from the announcing schools with an emphasis on interdisciplinary cooperation and the participation of teams made up of different fields of study and schools. The competition is intended especially for projects of an intermedial nature connecting art and technology with an emphasis on scenic design and elements of interactivity. It is also possible to enter a bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree project in the competition.
For the implementation of the selected project, the successful applicant will receive the following support:
- Residency in the space of the Institute of Intermedia (view of the space, floor plan of the space) lasting up to 3 weeks (working days 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.).
- Technical and technological provision of the project in the form of loans of current IIM equipment (list of equipment).
- Consultation in the field of development and use of software for interactive, multimedia and VR applications.
- Reimbursement of material costs and services up to CZK 24,000. We recommend looking for and using other sources of financing.
- The supported project must be completed with a public presentation by 30 November 2023 at the latest.
- The project can be presented in the space of the Institute of Intermedia or elsewhere, as chosen by the implementation team.
- The final report of the project must be submitted no later than 30 November 2023. As part of it, an accounting of the funds provided, and visual documentation of the project must be submitted.
- All public outputs of the project must be marked with a dedication as follows: “The project was created on the basis of a project competition of the Institute of Intermedia at the FEL of CTU and was supported by funds from CTU, AMU and UMPRUM.”
Project schedule (important dates)
- Application submission: by 17 March 2023 (23:59) by email to kantodag at fel.cvut.cz.
- Publication of the result: by 31 March 2023 at at https://www.iim.cz/sil23.
- Project implementation: 1 April 2023 – 30 November 2023.
- Possible residency at IIM: 1 April 2023 – 30 November 2023.
- Project billing: by 30 November 2023 by email to kantodag at fel.cvut.cz.
The competition is announced for one-year projects solved by students of all types of study at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering of the Czech Technical University in Prague, the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague (note: In the case of FAMU’s international programs, the call is limited only to the MA programs DCDM, Montage, CINKK and Photography.), the Faculty of Architecture of the Czech Technical University in Prague, and the Academy of Arts, Architecture and Design in Prague in the period 1 April 2023 – 31 December 2023.
How to apply
Send the application by 17 March 2023 (11:59 PM) in PDF document format by e-mail to kantodag at fel.cvut.cz.
Attention: share files larger than 5 MB (e.g., on google doc) and only send a link.
Content of the application for project support
The application for project support (max. 2 pages without attachments) must contain:
- Concise description of the project (clear formulation of content, goal, and method of implementation).
- Framework time schedule (where it will be clear in what periods the IIM space is to be used and the considered date of the public presentation).
- The state-of-the-art of the issues processed by the project.
- Implementation team with the definition of the roles of individual members.
- Structured CV of the applicant and members of the implementation team (please provide as an attachment).
- Budget. Balance sheet with the structure of expected costs and required funds (please provide as an attachment).
- Mentor’s letter of recommendation (include as an attachment).
- Structured CV of the mentor (include as an attachment).
Submitted applications for project support will be evaluated by the IIM Board, composed of representatives of all the announcing schools.
- The submitted application is assessed by the IIM board in terms of innovative contribution to the field, artistic quality, and feasibility of the project.
- In the competition, priority will be given to projects supporting the cooperation of students from several participating schools across different artistic disciplines.
- The submitted application must be sponsored by a mentor who is a teacher at one of the above-mentioned schools.
The rules of the student project competition are governed by the resolution of the IIM Board dated February 21, 2023.
Dagmar Kantorková – kantodag at fel.cvut.cz
Institute of Intermedia
Czech Technical University in Prague
Faculty of Electrical Engineering
Technická 2, 166 27, Prague 6 Dejvice
For more information visit: https://www.iim.cz/cs/sil23/